Nostalgic road trips making travel comeback
This summer, many families are ready to start venturing out and orchestrating creative travel. Amidst COVID-19, this year’s travel trends involve families staying closer to home, mapping out a nostalgic road trip or going back to the basics of simpler times. View some travel ideas below to spark creativity on your travel bucket list.
Visit your nearest state park, forest reserve or lake for the day and explore hiking trails. Take a look at this list for some ideas:
- Lake Manawa State Park in Council Bluffs, Iowa has great fishing and boating opportunities as well as a robust trail system, beach and playground. You will have no trouble filling your day!
- Lake Icaria in Corning, Iowa
- Lake Anita in Anita, Iowa
- Float down the West Nishnabotna Water Trail in Pottawattamie County. This 27 mile water trail is ideal for canoes, kayaks and tubes. Pack a lunch and stop at one of the many sandbars along the trail.
- Local wineries have plenty of outdoor space to offer such as Prairie Crossing in Treynor, Breezy Hills in Minden, and the Corning Winery and Vineyards.
Extended Weekend Trips
Rent an RV or lake house to enjoy some fishing, paddle boarding or even be bold and try a tent camping adventure. Here’s a few of our local favorites:
- Hitchcock Nature Center in Honey Creek, Iowa has primitive tent campsites, electric RV sites and cabins to rent. Spend the days hiking and birdwatching in the Loess Hills. Finish the night off with a relaxing campfire with your loved ones.
- Sunnyside Park in Atlantic, Iowa
- Lake Binder in Corning, Iowa
- For weekend getaway ideas in Council Bluffs, make sure to checkout Unleash CB's website.
Outdoor Landmarks & National Parks
Map out a trip to a national park on your bucket list or other outdoor landmarks such as your favorite garden, memorial or historic district.
For some regional and local finds we asked Emma Schwaller, Content Coordinator for Unleash CB and WattaWay for some suggestions. “If you love history, you will want to check out the Lincoln and Lewis and Clark They both feature amazing views of the Council Bluffs metro and offer a lot of historical insight into the area. If you are an art guru, you will want to check out the numerous public art pieces in town. They are all extremely unique and inspiring,“ said Schwaller. “If you want to learn about our local heroes, I highly recommend checking out the Stars and Bronze Tribute Trail as well as the Eagle of Honor statues present in each Pottawattamie County town.“
A backyard obstacle course, water weekend or competitive game nights at home with the family might be your cup of tea. Games like corn hole, life-size Jenga or lawn checkers are always crowd favorites. For a more cozy, quaint evening, set up an outdoor movie night! Draw up a white sheet, projector screen, laptop to stream a movie, portable speakers and some pillows and blankets. To wrap up the night, light the fire pit for some s’mores and top it off with beautiful stargazing!
Again, our friends at Unleash CB have rounded up some awesome hotel rates and ideas for these new creative ways to travel. Check out more staycation ideas featured on the Unleash CB blog along with hotel packages offering the discounted rates: Staycation rates, Reunion rates and Getaway rates.
No matter your choice, the summer of 2020 will be one to remember! Happy trails to you and your family.
At TS Bank, we IGNITE PROSPERITY® by helping our clients do more with their money. Whether it’s saving a little extra cash each month or accomplishing a long-term strategy, our goal is to help you transform your financial life. Call and schedule an appointment today, one of our team members would love to help you do more with your money at TS Bank. TS Bank has eight locations in central and southwest Iowa. For more information visit tsbank.com or call 844-487-3030. #igniteprosperity